Five dangerous worksites closed down daily in BelgiumWednesday, 04 October 2017 16:11
Quoting figures from the General Directorate for the Monitoring of Well-Being at Work, Het Nieuwsblad reported that 1,417 worksites were closed last year - between five and six per day. A few years ago, the figure had risen to 1,606, but many more checks were being made at the time.
In 2013, a total of 14,672 checks were carried out, as against 10,627 in 2016. In 2011, eight workers lost their lives while there were six deaths in 2016.
The construction sector says it deplores the reduced number of checks. “Everyone should conform to Belgian law,” says Frederik Bronckaerts of the Construction Federation. “We note that some foreign companies do not invest enough in safety. Unsafe work is a form of disloyal competition.”
The number of accidents in the construction sector has nevertheless dropped, from 20,164 in 2011 to just over 14,000 in 2015, “but it’s mainly the slight accidents that have been decreasing; the more severe ones are on the increase,” says Bronckaerts.
The Brussels Times
Questioned about the fact that he had told the investigating judge that he would speak in the Assise Court, terror…
A former gendarme from the Dendermonde brigade who worked on the Brabant killings, Philippe V---, was called in for questioning…
Approximately one hundred people took part on Wednesday in the commemoration service in Dendermonde for the massacre carried out by…
The Gaming Commission has decided to start sanction proceedings against Betway, report De Tijd, Le Soir and Knack on Wednesday.