Suspected football fraud: Bruges, Genk, Ostend and Anderlecht confirm searches

Wednesday, 10 October 2018 16:22
Suspected football fraud: Bruges, Genk, Ostend and Anderlecht confirm searches © Belga
Bruges, Genk, Ostend and Anderlecht football clubs confirmed on Wednesday that the federal office of the public prosecutor (OPP) had conducted searches at their premises on Wednesday morning in connection with the suspected fraud in Belgian football.
However, Mouscron, Charleroi and Eupen said no searches had been carried out at their clubs for the moment.

Bruges coach Ivan Leko was taken in for questioning in connection with the fraud scandal, according to the OPP, which confirmed that the agent of football player Mogi Bayat, former Anderlecht director Herman Van Holsbeeck, and referees Sébastien Delferrière and Bart Vertenten had also been questioned. The investigators are also focusing on the agent of footballer Dejan Veljkovic

Various media reported that the justice authorities were conducting a double investigation into fixed matches and into possible financial fraud and money laundering.

Searches are reportedly being conducted at 10 of the 16 clubs in Division 1A.

"This action is part of a judicial investigation regarding the practices of certain players’ agents,” Anderlecht said in a press release. Belga news agency confirmed that the law enforcers had left the club’s Neerpede site.

Christopher Vincent
The Brussels Times
Google Plus

More Stories

The first poll of the year confirms the "Green wave"

The first poll of the year confirms the "Green wave"

The first poll of the year, done for Le Soir, RTL-TVI, VTM and Het Laatste Nieuws, has confirmed the “Green wave” sweeping the country.

The sp.a wants free GP consultations

The sp.a wants free GP consultations

Everyone should be able to see their GP for free, according to Flemish socialists in the sp.a.

Family of toddler shot dead by police may stay in the country

Family of toddler shot dead by police may stay in the country

The family of Mawda Shawri, the two-year-old shot dead by police during a car chase as they were entering the country illegally, have been granted a residence permit to allow them to stay in Belgium for at least a year, migration minister Maggie De Block has decided.