CD&V Chairman rules out Francken resignation

Monday, 08 January 2018 19:41
CD&V Chairman rules out Francken resignation © Belga
The resignation of the Secretary of State for Asylum, Theo Francken, is not on the cards, the chairman of the Christian Democratic and Flemish party, CD&V, Wouter Beke, said on Monday after a meeting of the party’s executive.
“The CD&V made a commitment for five full years in 2014 and we are sticking by it,” Beke said.

The leader of the Christian Democrats further explained his position on the issue, which he had already laid out during the end-of-year break. “It’s a matter of personal ethics,” he said. “If the Secretary of State feels that he can still perform his duties, it’s a matter for him. One person’s ethics are clearly different from another’s, but that’s how it is. For us, there is nothing more on the agenda.” 

The chairman of the New Flemish Alliance, N-VA, Bart De Wever, warned his partners in the ruling coalition on Sunday evening of the consequences that would were Francken to resign: it would mean the N-VA leaving the majority, which would in turn bring down the federal government.

Early elections are “absolutely not on the agenda”, Beke said. “That would be playing with fire. People expect us to continue taking decisions in 2018, not to engage in petty political games,” he added. “There is enough trust to implement the governmental agreement.”  

Maria Novak
The Brussels Times
Google Plus

More Stories

Decree prohibiting use of non-professional weed killers approved

Decree prohibiting use of non-professional weed killers approved

The ministers’ council approved Friday a decree that prohibits the use of certain herbicides by private individuals, announced the Minister of Agriculture Denis Ducarme.

Mechelen tests self-driving delivery vehicles

Mechelen tests self-driving delivery vehicles

Saturday saw the arrival of a self-driving delivery truck in the busy shopping streets of the centre of Mechelen.

Dozens of First World War remains disinterred in West Flanders

Dozens of First World War remains disinterred in West Flanders

The remains of more than 40 soldiers who died in the First World War have been uncovered by archaeologists working on a site in Wijtschate in West Flanders province, part of the war’s main Western front and part of the battle of Passchendaele.