De Block ready to scrap social security advantages for pro footballersSunday, 25 November 2018 11:02
Clubs who pay their players the most receive the lion’s share of the benefits. From the total of €70 million RSZ concessions in a year, Anderlecht alone reaps €20 million, followed by Standard on €8.4 million and Club Brugge on €7.9 million.
When the allegations in Footgate first emerged, De Block, together with finance minister Johan Van Overtveldt and employment minister Kris Peeters, together considered the question of concessions for football clubs. De Block is now closer to taking action.
“As soon as the Clean Hands affair came to light, I put the sector on alert,” De Block said. “Football has to get its house in order, otherwise politicians will not hesitate to cast doubt on the RSZ concession. Everyone seems convinced something has to be done. What we have seen this week causes me to be anything but hopeful.”
Kris Peeters, however, called for the football sector to be given time to sort out its own problems before the government takes any steps. De Block is less than impressed by efforts so far. After a long session of talks this week, the Football Union came forward with only two minor proposals.
“I asked for a sign, but I didn’t get one,” she said later. “Since concrete results are not forthcoming, I have asked my department to work out a proposal to get rid of, or at least reduce, the RSZ concession.”
The Brussels Times
“Girl,” Lukas Dhont’s first full-length feature, will compete in three categories (Best Film, Best Actor and European Discovery Award) tonight…
The WeLoveBXL organization, managed by Antwerp’s Sihame El Kaouakibi, well known in Flanders for its social projects, opens this Saturday…
A surgeon from Leuven University Hospital is being prosecuted for having put in place non-compliant implants for years, De Tijd…
33,612 "bosses" so far (until the end of March 2018) were able to benefit from the measure within the frame…