The Porte de Hal tunnel reopened to traffic on 3 JulyFriday, 16 June 2017 18:25
During the works, small cracks were uncovered in the roof of the subway infrastructure. Concrete repairs and leakage checks are underway, as is paving and coating work of the pavement, explained Pascal Smet. "The objective was to carry out a thorough renovation", he said, adding that the most stringent safety standards had been applied, including the addition of two emergency exits.
Specific attention will be given to the design at a later stage and an architect will be appointed with the task of giving the structure a more modern look, said the minister.
The cracks discovered during the deasphalting process required the postponenent of the reopening of the tunnel by five days. "The slab was very damaged and equalisation work had to be carried out," said the head of Eiffage, the company in charge of the site.
It mobilises up to 50 workers. "We are working at full speed because all the civil works have to be completed for the beginning of the Foire du Midi" on 15 July, explained the official.
Traffic in the tunnel will therefore resume on 3 July, but with only one lane in each direction instead of two. From April 2018 to January 2019, the tunnel will be closed at night.
The Brussels Times
One fourth of Belgian employers think that new digital technologies will have a positive impact on employment according to the…
The Australian financial group Macquarie wants to sell its 36% stake in Brussels Airport, wrote De Tijd and L'Echo on…
The commune of Waterloo on Monday installed the first of dozens of ashtrays to be erected in public places to…
Belgium had one of the European Union’s highest debt-to-GDP rates in 2017 - 103.1% -, according to figures from the…