Brussels Appeal Court acquits man convicted of raping infant daughter

Tuesday, 05 December 2017 20:04
The Brussels Appeal Court on Monday overturned the conviction of a 44-year-old man who had been sentenced to five years in prison in June 2016 for raping his daughter while she was between 2 ½ and 4 years old.
The appeal judges upheld the appeal presented by Defence Attorney Samuel Rosenblatt and acquitted the man, who spent seven months on remand.

During a playground activity on the 27th of August 2011, the little girl, then four years old, had described to a childcarer, using infant language, sexual acts which, she said, her father had committed on her. The childcarer immediately alerted the youth assistance services and the child was removed from the family home. The father had always denied sexually abusing his daughter.

The infant was the last of five siblings. They had already been placed in foster care by a judge in the past following violence in the home between their parents.

Jason Bennett
The Brussels Times
Google Plus

More Stories

Brussels city centre traffic to be disrupted for National Day

Brussels city centre traffic to be disrupted for National Day

Traffic in Brussels city centre will be disrupted in connection with the celebration of National Day on Saturday, the Brussels Capital-Ixelles police precinct warned on Thursday.

Watch out for falling branches, Brussels Environment warns

Watch out for falling branches, Brussels Environment warns

The ongoing drought is weakening trees and could cause branches to fall, Brussels Environment said on Thursday, warning the public to be “very careful in parks, under trees, but also in forests and along the sides of streets, especially in parking areas.”

Most wanted crime suspect released to Albania

Most wanted crime suspect released to Albania

Opposition politicians have criticised federal migration minister Theo Francken for deporting an Albanian gangster who later showed up on the government’s own Most Wanted list.