BNP Paribas Fortis to transfer 1.9-billion-euro dividend to its French mother company

Monday, 03 December 2018 18:31
BNP Paribas Fortis to transfer 1.9-billion-euro dividend to its French mother company © Belga
BNP Paribas Fortis will transfer an interim dividend of 1.9 billion euros to its French mother company BNP Paribas, on Tuesday, the Belgian bank announced on Monday.
The amount represents BNP Paribas Fortis’ net profit for 2017.

In December 2015, BNP Paribas Fortis had remitted two billion euros to Paris and the BNP Paribas Group, which owns over 99.9% of the Belgian bank. The new “exceptional” dividend had been strongly contested at the time by unions because the firm had adopted a strategic plan that included cutting 1,050 posts in three years.

"For fiscal 2016 and 2017, BNP Paribas Fortis had decided not to share out the dividends, pending clarifications concerning the new equity requirements and given the integration of the recently acquired Arval,” leasing company, the bank explained.

Now BNP Paribas Fortis has reverted to its “normal dividend policy” and will this hand over an interim dividend of 3.36 euros per share, for a total sum of 1,899,052,538.88 euros, which corresponds to its consolidated profit for 2017.

The bank says this is a result of “healthy capital management”. It gave the assurance that it will remain well capitalised and that “the distribution of the dividend will have no impact on its capacity to continue investing in the growth of its activities and to play a major role in financing the Belgian economy.”

Jason Bennett
The Brussels Times
Google Plus

More Stories

Entrepreneurs lay more than €300 million on table for medical research

Entrepreneurs lay more than €300 million on table for medical research

Urbain Vandeurzen, one of Belgium’s leading business entrepreneurs, has committed to spending €200 million through one of his companies to pay for research into Alzheimer’s disease.

March against Marrakesh can go ahead, says Council of State

March against Marrakesh can go ahead, says Council of State

The so-called March against Marrakesh, planned to take place in Brussels on Sunday, can go ahead despite a ban by the Brussels region, the Council of State has ruled.

Michel wants EU sanctions against people behind disinformation campaigns

Michel wants EU sanctions against people behind disinformation campaigns

Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel said on Friday on the margins of a summit in Brussels that he would like the European Commission to be able to conduct investigations and possibly take action against people who carry out disinformation campaigns to try and “destabilise democracies”.