Carles Puigdemont to remain in Belgium despite withdrawal of European arrest warrantTuesday, 05 December 2017 17:03
Spanish media reported earlier on Tuesday that Spanish Supreme Court judge Pablo Llarena had withdrawn the European arrest warrant against Puigdemont and four of his former ministers, Antonio Comín, Lluís Puig, Meritxell Serret and Clara Ponsatí, who had fled to Brussels on the 30th of October. “The investigation has shown that they intended to return to Spain,” the judge said.
In a nine-page justification of his decision, which has been communicated to Belgium’s justice department, the judge said he felt the investigation had to do with a crime “of a pluri-subjective nature with an inseparable legal unity, which requires a single response to avoid contradictory responses”.
He maintained the Spanish arrest warrant against the five, who would be arrested on their return to Spain, court sources explained. “They seem to have indicated their intention to return to Spain with the aim of carrying out elective functions for elections that have been called recently,” Llarena said in a reference to the regional election to be held on 21 December.
The Brussels Times
Nearly ten years after the Fortis downfall, wronged shareholders of the Belgian-Dutch Bank Insurer will recuperate part of their stakes.
In Belgium, in 2017, Listeria bacteria was also discovered in two frozen corn samples, reported Saturday Het Nieuwsblad, de Gazet…
During the first semester, the Port of Antwerp dealt with more than 118 million tons of merchandise, a record, and…
The Flemish Minister of Transport, Public Works and Brussels Periphery, Ben Weyts (N-VA), wants to reopen the community debate after…