Carles Puigdemont to remain in Belgium despite withdrawal of European arrest warrantTuesday, 05 December 2017 17:03
Spanish media reported earlier on Tuesday that Spanish Supreme Court judge Pablo Llarena had withdrawn the European arrest warrant against Puigdemont and four of his former ministers, Antonio Comín, Lluís Puig, Meritxell Serret and Clara Ponsatí, who had fled to Brussels on the 30th of October. “The investigation has shown that they intended to return to Spain,” the judge said.
In a nine-page justification of his decision, which has been communicated to Belgium’s justice department, the judge said he felt the investigation had to do with a crime “of a pluri-subjective nature with an inseparable legal unity, which requires a single response to avoid contradictory responses”.
He maintained the Spanish arrest warrant against the five, who would be arrested on their return to Spain, court sources explained. “They seem to have indicated their intention to return to Spain with the aim of carrying out elective functions for elections that have been called recently,” Llarena said in a reference to the regional election to be held on 21 December.
The Brussels Times
The European Court of Auditors (ECA) has signed off the 2017 accounts of the agencies working for the EU in…
Newly elected mayor of the Brussels commune of Molenbeek, Catherine Moureaux, has condemned the so-called Canal Plan introduced by the…
Federal foreign affairs minister Didier Reynders (photo) has refused to become involved in a diplomatic row between Spain and Flanders.
Wallonia has come up with a proposal for the distribution among the regions of a 10-million-euro fine imposed on Belgium…