Last night in Vilvoorde, a 62 year-old man suffered life-threatening injuries during a fire in an apartment building, that rendered six flats were rendered uninhabitable.
At around 23:40, a fire broke out on the first floor of the building and spread quickly.
When the fires service arrived, flames were visible on the first floor and a thick cloud of smoke hung in the building.
- Two apartments in Uccle uninhabitable after fire
- Nine people injured in Anderlecht apartment building fire
Several residents were able to leave the building, but a 62 year-old man had to be evacuated by the fire brigade. He was overcome by the smoke and was taken to hospital.
At the time, his life was in danger but his condition has since stabilised.
The fire brigade managed to extinguish the fire, but the fire and smoke damage in the building is considerable.
Six flats have been temporarily rendered uninhabitable.
The cause of the fire was the battery of an electric bicycle that was charging and overheating.