20-year-old man dies in new shooting in Molenbeek

20-year-old man dies in new shooting in Molenbeek
Police in Brussels. Credit: Belga

On Monday evening, a 20-year-old man died in a shooting in the Beekkant district of the Brussels municipality of Molenbeek-Saint-Jean, according to the Brussels-West Police Zone and the public prosecutor’s office.

Around 20:40, the police were called to a shooting incident on the Rue Dubois-Thorn, in the Beekkant neighbourhood, the police spokesperson confirmed to The Brussels Times.

“When the police arrived on the scene, they found an injured person, who died on the spot,” he said, adding that a large security perimeter was set up afterwards.

The victim is a 20-year-old man, who was shot while he was sitting in the passenger seat of a vehicle. “We have requested an investigating judge for manslaughter,” Martin Francois of the Brussels public prosecutor’s office said in a statement.

“The public prosecutor went to the scene with the investigating judge, a ballistics expert, a medical examiner and people from the federal police’s forensics laboratory,” he said. “As the investigation is ongoing, the public prosecutor’s office will not comment further.”

Related News:

This is the ninth reported shooting in the municipality since September.

Last week, a similar incident also took place in the Chaussée de Merchtem Molenbeek: when the police arrived on the scene, they found a victim with a gunshot wound to the leg. His life was not in danger.

Last week’s shooting was already the second which occurred on the same street since October, reports Bruzz. In nearby streets such as the Rue de l’Ecole, Rue du Presbytère and Rue de Menin, among others, shooting incidents also have also taken place in the last six months.

Update: This article was updated on Tuesday afternoon following a statement from the Brussels public prosecutor’s office.


Latest News

Copyright © 2021 The Brussels Times. All Rights Reserved.