Share article:

    The presumed arsonist of the Anderlecht Synagogue is set free

    The 29 year old man suspected of setting fire to the Anderlecht Synagogue on the 16th of September last year was released on the 1st of July this year, his lawyer said on Saturday. This confirms a report by La Capitale. He was convicted of the voluntary arson of a building inhabited at night. A fire broke out in a Synagogue in rue de la Clinique in Anderlecht during the night of the 16th of September. It started on the building’s second floor, where smoke damage was found by firefighters.

    The three people that were in the building at the time suffered light smoke inhalation.

    Brussels fire-fighters said 4 different sources were found.

    The suspect was arrested during a routine check in January, in rue Pélican in Brussels. The police performing the check realised he was a person of interest in the Synagogue fire. He was convicted by a fingerprint found at the site.

    Sarah Johansson (Source: Belga)