Share article:

    Three people suffer smoke inhalation after a fire in Charleroi

    A fire in a block of flats in Charleroi in the early hours of Saturday morning was started deliberately. Three people suffered smoke inhalation as a result.  

    The fire was on the ground floor of a block of flats in rue Jonet in Charleroi. It started at around 3am on Saturday morning, according to Hainaut-Est firefighters. The perpetrators broke in and started the fire inside one of the flats while the resident was away. The smoke drifted through into other flats in the building. 

    The residents were able to escape, but three of them suffered smoke inhalation. They were taken to hospital for treatment. 

    Local Charleroi police attended the scene and are currently investigating. 

    Sarah Johansson
    The Brussels Times