Saint-Josse shooting: a judicial inquiry opened, two suspects still in hospital
Sunday, 28 May 2017
The Brussels Prosecutor’s office has opened a judicial inquiry into Saturday’s shooting. On Sunday, the Prosecutor’s Office issued a statement saying the shooting happened in rue de la Ferme in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode a little before 2pm. Five people were involved in the shootout. Three of them were injured, but one has been discharged from hospital.
The Saint-Josse mayor originally said the shooting was a result of conflict between Russians and Chechens, based on testimony eyewitnesses gave just after the incident. However, the Prosecutor’s office has said that is probably not the case.
“The evidence points to it being a neighbourhood quarrel that went bad”, the Prosecutor’s office spokesman said. “Apparently, two families living in the same building had been fighting for a least a month. It degenerated on Saturday, while the sons of both families were present”.
Exactly how the incident happened is not quite clear. The Prosecutor’s office revealed five people were involved, including a minor who will go before a youth judge. “The four others will go before an instruction judge and be charged with attempted murder and assault”, the spokesman added.