A letter expressing the regrets of convicted serial rapist, kidnapper and child molester Marc Dutroux, is scheduled to be sent soon to his victims and their families, his lawyer, Bruno Dayez, said in an interview published on Thursday in Le Vif/L’Express weekly. Dayez said that, with the agreement of his client, he had been “drafting a letter that will soon be sent to the victims or parents of his victims”. It will be sent “before the summer holidays, I think,” he added.
“In this letter, which I shall write as the spokesman of Marc Dutroux, I shall lay out the regrets he expresses with regard to what has happened,“ said Dayez, who had agreed last year to represent the prisoner in his parole application. “There will be responses to certain questions the victims’ families are still asking.”
Dayez said the remorse he would be expressing on behalf of his client “will not be a façade”. “Even if he contests certain things, even if he does not see himself as an absolute monster, he is well aware that he is not in prison by accident or mistake; he assumes his responsibilities,” said the attorney.
He again complained of the “deplorable” prison conditions imposed on his client: “a 9m2 cell that he rarely leaves and an almost absolute isolation.”
The Brussels Times