Bruges, Genk, Ostend and Anderlecht football clubs confirmed on Wednesday that the federal office of the public prosecutor (OPP) had conducted searches at their premises on Wednesday morning in connection with the suspected fraud in Belgian football. However, Mouscron, Charleroi and Eupen said no searches had been carried out at their clubs for the moment.
Bruges coach Ivan Leko was taken in for questioning in connection with the fraud scandal, according to the OPP, which confirmed that the agent of football player Mogi Bayat, former Anderlecht director Herman Van Holsbeeck, and referees Sébastien Delferrière and Bart Vertenten had also been questioned. The investigators are also focusing on the agent of footballer Dejan Veljkovic
Various media reported that the justice authorities were conducting a double investigation into fixed matches and into possible financial fraud and money laundering.
Searches are reportedly being conducted at 10 of the 16 clubs in Division 1A.
“This action is part of a judicial investigation regarding the practices of certain players’ agents,” Anderlecht said in a press release. Belga news agency confirmed that the law enforcers had left the club’s Neerpede site.