The parents of a schoolgirl in Schaerbeek have acknowledged that their daughter was not sexually assaulted, after allegations of abuse sparked confrontations between residents and authorities in the municipality over the week. The family's lawyer told VTM Nieuws on Friday that the family had consulted a paediatrician and a gynaecologist, who had confirmed their four-year-old girl was attained by a rare infection.
Reports emerged on April 25 that the girl's mother had approached the authorities with concerns of sexual assault, after she found blood in her underwear when she picked her up from school.
An official investigation had ruled out that the girl had been sexually assaulted.
The girls' parents initially rejected that conclusion, which triggered public anger and prompted protests in front of the school, which was eventually closed down by authorities.
News of the events quickly spread across Brussels, sparking debate among politicians and the public, and ultimately leading Schaerbeek mayor Bernard Clerfayt to announce he intends to lodge a complaint following the protests.
The girl's parents have reportedly expressed regret over the events, and said she will be back in school next week, once the school opens again on Monday.
The Brussels Times