Residents of building in Evere evacuated after fire

Residents of building in Evere evacuated after fire
Credit: Brussels Fire Brigade.

On Wednesday evening, a fire broke out in an eight-story building on Avenue des Anciens Combattants in Evere, with all of the residents having to be evacuated.

The Brussels Fire Brigade was called to the building shortly before 19:00 after tenants reported the presence of smoke in the building, with some having already left their homes.

The firefighters discovered that the fire had started in an electrical box on the second floor, and smoke subsequently spread to the other levels via the service shaft.

Related News

Attempts to ventilate the building were unsuccessful, resulting in the complete evacuation of the premises with the assistance of the Brussels-North police zone.

"After half an hour, there was no more smoke or carbon monoxide, and everyone was able to get back inside," a spokesperson for the fire department told Belga News Agency.

The fire is said to have been started accidentally.


Latest News

Copyright © 2021 The Brussels Times. All Rights Reserved.