The man was taken to the hospital with third-degree burns. Credit: Belga
One of the activists staying on a site in Haren, protesting against the mega prison that will be built there, got seriously injured in a fire on Thursday evening.
A cabin built by one of the activists caught fire, caused by the overheating of a cooking pot with oil, said fire service spokesperson Walter Derieuw. The man was taken to the hospital with third-degree burns.
“It took a lot of effort for our people to get into the cabin and extinguish the fire,” said Derieuw. “There had been several small explosions due to gas bottles that were lying around in the cabin. Luckily, we were able to drag three other large gas bottles of ten kilograms of propane gas out of the cabin before they exploded.”
“According to the man that was brought to the hospital, there was a second person present who would have been slightly burned, but he was no longer on site when we arrived,” said Derieuw.