Share article:

    Molenbeek police attack: officer to remain suspended

    Facebook screenshot
    A man has pressed charges after being violently attacked by a police officer in Molenbeek.
    Facebook screenshot

    The four-month suspension of a Molenbeek policeman who attacked an arrested man has been reinstated, overturning a decision last week that deemed the penalty too heavy, according to reports on Tuesday.

    The Brussels-West police zone said the officer would remain suspended for the four month period and have 15% of his salary retained as the investigation into the attack continues, according to local media.

    The officer was put under investigation after footage of a violent attack during an arrest in the Brussels municipality of Molenbeek in May shows the police officer repeatedly kicking a man in the head during an arrest, even though the detainee is already pinned to the ground by another agent.

    The officer had lodged a complaint against the disciplinary measures taken against him, arguing to the Council of State that he had suffered damage to his image thanks to the media attention the case had received.

    With the investigation ongoing, police told local media that no further information could be disclosed at this time.

    If found guilty of assault, the officer faces up to two years in prison.

    Gabriela Galindo
    The Brussels Times