Share article:
Share article:

Festive new year passes off smoothly in Brussels

The Saint-Sylvestre festivities including the traditional fireworks took place in a festive family atmosphere in the centre of Brussels. Olivier Mees, the Director of Brussels Major Events, responsible for organising the entertainment, stated this.

Although the total made during the festivities is as yet unknown, its organisers consider that it was a huge success. Their gamble has paid off: to bring to life the boulevards of the centre of the capital and unite the public around a convivial event throughout the evening.

The local police has not so far mentioned any incidents.

The new year entertainment began at 8 a.m. in Brussels in the pedestrian area, taking the form of Dundu; giant sparkling puppets with flexible and transparent body motions, strolling between the Bourse (the Stock Exchange) and the Place De Brouckère.

A DJ then warmed up the crowd with dancing.

As the clock struck midnight, the Brussels skyline was lit up in a burst of colour by the traditional new year fireworks. These were cancelled last year owing to the terrorist threat.

Olivier Mees told Belga, “The evening was a success and our objective to unite people in the centre of Brussels around a festive family atmosphere, a triumph. The Place De Brouckère was bustling with people and throngs of people were present around the Bourse. The atmosphere was highly relaxing and it was amazing to see Brussels dancing and alive once again.”

A security mechanism, adapted to the event was implemented. From 7 a.m. systematic checks and searches were carried out. As indicated, the local police said that there were no incidents to speak of.


The Brussels Times

Latest news

European Council: Decisions on Covid-19 and energy and debate on other issues
At the two-days summit which ended on Friday, the European Council adopted conclusions on COVID-19, digital, energy prices, migration, trade and ...
Flanders ‘water bomb’ could cause €2 billion in damages and affect thousands
The next "water bomb" or heavy rainfall over Flanders could cause damages estimated at around €2 billion, and could affect up to 100,000 people in ...
Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine 90% effective in 5 to 11-year-olds
The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is 90.7% effective in preventing symptomatic forms of the coronavirus in children aged five to 11, Pfizer announced on ...
Belgian airport named best for cargo in Europe
Brussels Airport has been named the best airport in Europe in a 2021 roundup of the best cargo airports across the world. The Asian Freight, ...
NASA plans first return mission to Moon in February 2022
The United States space agency, NASA, has announced that it will be aiming to launch its first, uncrewed mission to the moon, Artemis 1, in February ...
New, reportedly more contagious Delta mutation being monitored
A new mutation of the Delta variant of the coronavirus, which is reported to be more contagious, is being monitored by health authorities in the ...
Angèle releases new single: ‘Bruxelles je t’aime’
Belgian singer Angèle has unveiled her latest song ahead of the release of her new album, due later this year. 'Bruxelles je t'aime' (Brussels I ...
23 million chickens and 1.7 million pigs: Climate experts call for livestock cut
Flander's livestock needs to be drastically cut to save the climate and reach the emission reduction targets, according to the latest advice from the ...
Vaccination uptake surges in Wallonia following CST announcement
The number of people getting vaccinated against the coronavirus increased fourfold in Wallonia after it was announced that the Covid Safe Ticket ...
Guilty by association
BRUSSELS BEHIND THE SCENES Weekly analysis and untold stories With SAM MORGAN Other Brussels behind the scenes stories: Brussels' bid to make ...
Health minister supports use of Covid Safe Ticket in workplace
As the use of the Covid Safe Ticket (CST) has been expanded in Brussels and is set to in Wallonia, federal health minister Frank Vandenbroucke has ...
Maggots show Conings may have lived longer following disappearance
Former army soldier Jürgen Conings, whose disappearance in mid-May resulted in a month-long manhunt, may have been alive for longer than has been ...