Tuesday, 21 March 2017
Some 1,500 people are expected tomorrow (Wednesday) at Brussels Airport for the first anniversary commemorations of the March 22nd terrorist attacks.
In an interview given to the Belga press agency, Arnaud Feist, the CEO of Brussels Airport, said “Emotions still run high about this. It has been a difficult time for several weeks now.”
The Royal couple, the Prime Minister and several government ministers, as well as hundreds of people from the airport community will all pay tribute to the 16 people who died and all of those who were injured in the departure hall.
There will be a minute’s silence at 7.58 a.m., the time the first explosion occurred in the airport. Mr Feist stated that for approximately a quarter of an hour around this time, no aeroplanes will either land or take off from Zaventem.
At about 8.30 a.m., the various representatives and loved ones present will once again discover the bronze work “Flight in mind” by Olivier Strebelle. This was previously located in the departure hall and was damaged during the attacks.
It has been restored, still bearing traces of the explosion, and put back within a park at the beginning of the access road to Zaventem airport.
Arnaud Feist stresses the importance of respect for the victims and their families during Wednesday’s commemorations. He says, “We will do everything possible so that the victims and their families are not overexposed to cameras and requests for interviews.”
He also expressed his wish to provide Brussels Airport with “a work environment where all airport employees, the police, and others can work safely and feel as contented as the circumstances allow.”
The Brussels Times