Share article:
Share article:

Major roadworks at Leuven and Ghent from today

© VRT

Wednesday sees the start of two sets of major roadworks: repairs to the Wilsele viaduct near Leuven on the E314, and works on the Gentbrugge viaduct on the E17 near Ghent.

Both works had been scheduled to start last month, but were postponed because of the outbreak of the coronavirus crisis.

In normal times, both works would have been the cause of serious traffic disruption. As it is, with a nationwide lockdown reducing traffic on the roads, the problem is likely to be much less serious.

The Wilsele works will involve narrowed traffic lanes and a speed limit of 50km/h on the stretch affected, for a duration of 18 months. “During a normal morning rush hour, that would lead to enormous tailbacks,” said Veva Daniels of the Flemish agency for roads and traffic (AWV).

It was Flemish minister for public works Lydia Peeters who called for the suspension of works to be lifted, given the much-reduced flow of traffic using the section of road.

We’re glad we can gets started now, otherwise everything would back up and the whole project would suffer serious delays,” AWV said.

The works on the viaduct are a prelude to the construction of a new rush-hour lane to ease congestion on the E314 between Leuven and Aarschot, due to be ready by 2022.

From today, the approach roads Wilsele/Kessel-Lo in both directions will be closed until summer 2021. The off-road Wilsele/Kessel-Lo direction Brussels closes on Friday until the beginning of next year.

Full details of the works planned are available (in Dutch) on the AWV website.

Meanwhile today also sees the start of repair work on the notorious Gentbrugge viaduct on the E17, which is literally falling to pieces.

The first stage of works on the Kortrijk-bound carriageway will last until November. Work on the Antwerp-bound carriageway are scheduled for next year.

Repairs will reduce each carriageway to two lanes. From 23 April the off-ramp coming from Antwerp on the N9 in Gentbrugge will be closed, as well as the on-ramp of the N9 to the E17 direction Antwerp. More details here.

The AWV stressed that the rules on social distancing will be strictly observed during the works, including during travel to and from the sites.

Alan Hope
The Brussels Times

Latest news

Over 80,000 companies in Belgium non-compliant with anti-money laundering meassures
Over 80,000 companies and non-profits in Belgium are still not compliant with the Ultimate Business Owner (UBO) register, which is required of them ...
Increase in tax exemption for donations in Belgium fails to meet expectations
The increase from 45% to 60% in the tax exemption for donations, decided by the former federal government in June 2020, has cost Belgium more than ...
Sex workers in Belgium to get more social rights protection
The social rights of sex workers will soon be better protected in Belgium, Belga News Agency reports. The Council of Ministers has approved a draft ...
Belgian firms sent almost 266 billion euros to tax havens last year
Hundreds of Belgian firms sent close to 266 billion euros to tax havens last year, De Tijd reported on Saturday. Any Belgian individual or firm ...
Belgian investigator wins prestigious US prize
Olivier Hardy, an investigator with the federal police’s anti-terrorist unit in Brussels, DR3, received on Friday a "Top Cop" prize in Washington for ...
Pegasus Project: European Parliament awards journalism prize to investigation of use of spyware
The Daphne Caruana Prize for Journalism was awarded on Thursday to the journalists from the Pegasus Project coordinated by the Forbidden Stories ...
Belgians can now test their knowledge of driving rules and win prizes
The Walloon Road Safety Agency (AWSR) launched on Friday a quiz to allow the general public to test their knowledge of the highway code. Last year, ...
600 extras wanted for film about Belgian ‘Porn King’ and notorious Antwerp nightclub
A Belgian movie telling the story of a notorious Antwerp nightclub with connections to a Belgian 'Porn King' is looking for 600 extras at the end of ...
Namur Marathon relaunches after two years on hold
The next edition of the Namur Marathon will take place on April 24, 2022, its organisers announced on Friday, as they also opened registrations. ...
Lidl goes on strike: Half of supermarkets in Belgium closes on Saturday
One in two Lidl shops remained closed on Saturday morning, Lidl spokeswoman Isabelle Colbrandt said. Staff have been on strike for several days to ...
€220 million: Largest ever lottery prize in Europe won in France
A record-breaking €220 million Euromillions jackpot was won on Friday by a player in France, the French gaming authority (FDJ) has announced. The ...
Antwerp exhibition shows first photos after city bombed in 1944
An open-air exhibition in Antwerp will show off never before seen photos as part of a commemoration of the first V-bomb to hit the city, 77 years ...