Het Laatste Nieuws receives a threatening letter referring to the Islamic State
Share article:
Share article:

Het Laatste Nieuws receives a threatening letter referring to the Islamic State

©Belga
©Belga

The office of the daily newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws has received an anonymous threatening letter. It said that in the eyes of the Islamic State (IS) organization, Belgium “is a target for car-bomb attacks”. The typed letter arrived by post on Tuesday. The letter is written in French, and “clearly shows Islamic State logic”, according to experts.

The author(s)address(es) the Belgian population, Bart De Wever and King Philippe. The letter also refers to a video posted on the internet by the IS last week, in which Belgium, France and the United States are threatened.

“What happened in France will happen in Belgium”, says the letter’s author. In the big cities or the countryside. “The IS will conquer Europe from Belgium”, it adds. “As you have put Sharia4Belgium on trial and are holding several of our Brothers prisoner”.

The letter was seized by police.

(Source: Belga)

Latest news

Flanders introduces ‘invisible’ speed cameras
New digital speed cameras that are essentially invisible to the road user are being introduced on various roads and motorways in Flanders, Flemish ...
Warnings issued for slippery roads across Belgium
Drivers have been asked to watch out for slippery roads from Saturday afternoon until Sunday evening, as snow and cold temperatures are expected ...
Testing rules following high-risk contact eased for vaccinated people
The coronavirus testing policy following a high-risk contact has been eased, meaning a vaccinated person who was in contact with an infected person ...
New measures announced for Belgian schools
Stricter rules are being implemented across a variety of sectors in Belgium to curb the rising number of infections and limit the damage as a result ...
Majority of booster doses should be administered by March 2022
Invitations will be sent out in the following days for the general population in Belgium to receive a coronavirus booster vaccine, and most adults ...
Belgium adopts national plan to combat gender-based violence
Belgium has adopted a National Action plan for the Fight against Gender-Based Violence, which includes more than 200 measures and unites all levels ...
Antwerp cancels Christmas market and New Year’s Eve fireworks
The city of Antwerp has joined other cities including Leuven and Ghent by announcing it is cancelling this year's Christmas market, the end-of-year ...
Pharmaceutical companies looking into vaccines against new variant
Pharmaceutical companies have sprung into action to look into vaccine protection against the new coronavirus variant first detected in South Africa, ...
Belgium imposes entry ban on travellers from southern Africa
Belgium is introducing an entry ban for travellers from several countries in the south of Africa following concerns about a new variant (B.1.1.529) ...
What Ursula did next
BRUSSELS BEHIND THE SCENES • Weekly analysis and untold stories
Nightclub closures, limiting contacts: These rules come into force today
Just over one week after its last meeting, Belgium's Consultative Committee on Friday once again announced a set of new measures to curb the rising ...
Almost 3,500 Covid-19 patients in hospitals as new cases continue to skyrocket
The number of new coronavirus cases in Belgium is continuing to rise, and with it the number of Covid-19 patients who are hospitalised as a result of ...