Luxemburg backs the German request to shut down the Belgian reactors
Sunday, 24 April 2016
On Friday, the Luxemburg government decided to back the German request to shut down nuclear reactors Doel 3 and Tihange 2. They will support it as long as doubts remain about the safety of the ‘cracked’ reactors, the Luxemburger Wort reported on Sunday.
Luxemburg had already expressed its concern about the reactors. In January, the Luxemburg State Secretary for Sustainable Development, Camille Gira, and the Belgian Home Affairs Minister Jan Jambon (New Flemish Alliance) discussed the security measures in place at the nuclear plants. Luxemburg said Belgium had failed to assure its neighbour they were safe.
Earlier in the week, the German Environment Minister Barbara Hendricks asked Belgium to temporarily shut down Doel 3 and Tihange 2, so long as they are still doubts about their safety. “It would be good to temporarily shut down the reactors, at least until tests are completed”, she said.
Luxemburg decided to back this request on Friday.
The two Belgian nuclear reactors in question were shut down for two years. This was because of safety concerns after cracks were found. They were started up again in December. On Wednesday, the AFCN explained that the reactors adhered to the strictest security norms, so there was no need for concern.
The day after the Fukushima disaster, Germany decided to shut its 17 nuclear plants between now and 2022.