Defence chief Steven Vandeput denies being au fait with report on F-16 lifespan
Share article:
Share article:

Defence chief Steven Vandeput denies being au fait with report on F-16 lifespan

© Belga
Steven Vandeput wishes to get up to speed with the contents of the report, and why it has not been disclosed to him.
© Belga

On Tuesday, Defence Minister, Steven Vandeput, denied being up to date with the report by Lockheed Martin, stating that the lifespan of the current F-16s could be extended without exorbitant government expenditure. Speaking on VRT-Radio, Mr Vandeput stated that if this report does actually exist, if its contents are correct and if the Ministry of Defence decided not to share it, “there is a problem.”

The minister indicated, “I have learned that a report to this effect may exist. I have not yet been able to familiarise myself with its contents. Currently, I would first like to know what this report says, what its implications are and why it has remained confidential within the Ministry of the Defence.” Mr Vandeput intends to understand “both at what level, and why, it was decided not send it to him, as the minister for the department.”

Mr Vandeput repeated that if the existence and the contents of the report are true, and if the military decided, despite all of the facts, not to inform the minister, “then there is a problem.”

The N-VA minister has no intention, at this stage, to suspend the procedure to select new fighter aircraft, contrary to the sp.a’s requests put to him. He indicated, “The selection procedure must continue.” However he stated that, if the updated elements were able to be established, the government should take account of this in coming to its decision in finalising the matter.


The Brussels Times

Latest news

More than 1 in 4 Belgians use mobile phones whilst driving
A recent European study into the use of mobile phones whilst driving highlights some alarming results: 26% of Belgians read or send messages on their ...
Belgium in Brief: Memories Of Masks
Belgium's experts are concerned with the rising coronavirus figures. One possible solution could be that, once again, masks are used more widely. ...
Museum Nights Fever returns to Brussels on Saturday night
After a break last year, Museum Nights Fever 2021 is back again with free visits to 32 museums hosting performances, music and other events. The ...
More than €1.5 billion injected into SNCB
More than €1.5 billion in additional funding has been injected into the Belgian railways, Federal Mobility Minister Georges Gilkinet told the House ...
Non-vaccinated applicants no longer welcome at ZNA hospitals in Antwerp
The Antwerp hospital group ZNA is only taking on new employees who have been vaccinated against the coronavirus, according to reporting from VRT. ...
Pharmacies prepare to administer more rapid antigen tests
From November, anyone presenting coronavirus symptoms for less than six days will be able to take a rapid antigen test in a pharmacy, announced the ...
Chocolate, Christmas, and cocaine
Do you consider yourself a news buff? Someone constantly on top of what's going on? Then maybe you have what it takes to ace The Brussels Times ...
Introduction of Covid Safe Ticket leads more in Brussels to get vaccinated
The introduction of the Covid Safe Ticket (CST) in the Brussels-Capital Region on 15 October seems to have led to a higher number of residents ...
More and more testimonies, and a second rally against sexual violence in Brussels
A second rally against sexual violence was held in the Brussels neighbourhood of Ixelles on Thursday evening, and a sister-rally was held ...
Over 1,000 Covid-19 hospitalisations for first time since early June
The number of patients hospitalised in Belgium as a result of the coronavirus has again exceeded 1,000, climbing to 1,032, according to figures ...
Experts call for more widespread use of masks as figures rise
As coronavirus figures continue to rise, Belgian Prime Minister Alexander De Croo has suggested that people return to wearing masks when indoors with ...
Belgium wants to recover €420 million in wrongfully paid out coronavirus aid
The Belgian State intends to recover €420 million of unduly paid Covid-19 aid, La Libre Belgique reported on Thursday. The electronic Council of ...