Monday, 18 March 2019
A man has been arrested following a shooting on a tram in the Dutch city of Utrecht which left three people dead, according to police. After a nearly eight-hour manhunt, the police said they had arrested a Turkish-born man who had been identified as a suspect in the shooting, according to reports.
Five others were injured in the attack.
“Shootings took place this morning in several locations in Utrecht,” NCTV Director Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg said at a news conference in The Hague, adding that a major police operation had been launched to find the shooter. The incident was being treated as a potential terrorist attack.
Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old, was detained several hours after the attack.
The suspect of the shooting at the #24oktoberplein was arrested at the Oudenoord in Utrecht. Earlier the police published information and a photo of this same person.
— Politie Utrecht (@PolitieUtrecht) March 18, 2019
The Brussels Times