Flemish €250,000 anti-speeding campaign failed as no one understood its message
Share article:
Share article:

Flemish €250,000 anti-speeding campaign failed as no one understood its message

The campaign, which cost a total of about €250,000, did not yield any effect at all. Credit: Belga

A campaign, launched at the end of September 2019, aimed at making Flemish drivers respect the speed limits, completely failed because the message did not come across.

At the end of September, the Flemish authorities launched a campaign, which cost about €250,000, to make people respect the speed limits with the motto ‘Be a control cruiser’ posted on billboards along motorways and broadcasted in radio spots, but an internal study showed that the campaign had no effect at all, as the public did not understand the message.

The message of the campaign, according to the evaluation of the Flemish Foundation for Traffic Science (Vlaamse Stichting Verkeerskunde, VSV) was “not original”, “confusing”, and “without any result”, reports NewMobility.

40% of Flemish drivers even admitted to not having seen the campaign at all, according to the results of a representative survey. The other 60% did not change their driving behaviour, their answers showed.

Additionally, the words ‘cruiser’ and ‘control’ were more often linked to the use of the cruise control function, a system that automatically controls the speed of a motor vehicle, than to the decision to respect the speed limits.

“The message was not picked up properly,” said Werner De Dobbeleer of the VSV, reports Het Nieuwsblad. “It has become clear that there was no effect on behaviour. The wordplay on ‘cruise control’ also turned out to be too confusing. We will therefore not continue with the term. When we do another anti-speeding campaign in October 2020, hopefully, it will be with a direct hit,” he added.

“You always have to be careful with putting such things on billboards, especially when people drive by them at 120 km per hour. It may seem like a good idea, but people don’t have the time to think about the message,” said marketing professor Luk Warlop, reports Het Nieuwsblad.

“Advertising agencies like to be creative, but that often doesn’t work. What is most effective in awareness-raising campaigns is emphasising that people need to think about their loved ones,” he added.

Maïthé Chini
The Brussels Times

Latest news

More than 1,300 Covid-19 patients in Belgian hospitals
More than 1,300 people are in hospital as a result of coronavirus infections, as the number of new cases continues to rise in Belgium. Between ...
Masks reintroduced indoors, teleworking encouraged
Masks will again be mandatory inside shops and other indoor public spaces, Prime Minister Alexander De Croo announced in a press conference on ...
Belgium intends to activate the pandemic law, says Health Minister
"We intend to activate the pandemic law," Public Health Minister Frank Vandenbroucke confirmed on Tuesday in the House committee, ahead of Tuesday's ...
Offers for fake Covid Safe Tickets circulating on social media
As the Covid Safe Ticket (CST) becomes mandatory in many places across Belgium, offers for forgeries are increasingly circulating on social media. ...
EU auditors: More worried about the future budget than about pervasive errors in the 2020 budget
The European Court of Auditors (ECA) have signed off the 2020 EU accounts as giving a true and fair view of the union’s financial position but like ...
Belgium aims to tackle sexual violence with video interrogations
The federal government is looking to tackle sexual violence and increase convictions connected to this crime by relying more heavily on video ...
Duvel celebrates 150th anniversary with special brew in commemorative bottle
Belgium’s Duvel Moortgat Brewery is celebrating its 150th anniversary with the release of a special brew in a commemorative bottle shaped like its ...
Pollution scandal: 3M to show emissions don’t pose risk or halt production
Flanders has ordered American company 3M, involved in a pollution scandal in Antwerp, to prove that emissions linked to its production activities do ...
The Netherlands fears a greater rise in sea levels than forecast
Sea levels could rise by up to two metres by 2100 on the Dutch coastline – far more than previously forecast – according to an announcement from the ...
The Smurfs return to Belgian TV with the first new show since 1989
A new Smurfs show is bringing the characters of Belgium's second-most-famous comic franchise back to the small screen with their first new series, 30 ...
On this day in Brussels: An entrepreneurial journey begins
The Rue Dansaert was just beginning to become trendy when Alain Coumont opened his first bakery here on 26 October 1990. He started by baking big ...
Almost half of Belgian subsidies from EU left unused
Belgium left almost half (49%) of its subsidies allocated by the European Union between 2013 and 2020 unused, the equivalent of around €1.375 ...