Share article:
Share article:

Police search bed of the Senne for missing 21-year-old

Police search the Brussels-Scheldt canal using sonar and divers © Belga

Police on Saturday used a helicopter to scan the bed of the River Senne in search of the missing 21-year-old, Frederik Vanclooster. The young man has been missing since the night of 31 December to 1 January.

Yesterday Brussels fire service searched a stretch of the Brussels-Scheldt canal. They then announced that the search of the canal, using a sonar boat and diving team, would be suspended until Tuesday.

But today the police were out on the Senne, the river that runs underground through Brussels, searching with a helicopter a stretch from Vilvoorde to the Zennegat in Mechelen, where the river joins the Dijle.

[The halt on Friday] doesn’t mean we couldn’t do other things in the meantime,” said Alain Remue, head of the police’s missing persons unit. “One of those things was the search of the bed of the Senne. The weather was perfect for it. Sadly it didn’t produce any results.”

The Brussels fire brigade continued its search of the canal in the morning, contrary to what had been announced the day before, but instead of searching the Brussels section, looked at the section between the Kruitfabriek leisure complex in Vilvoorde and the viaduct, a distance of about 600m.

They had an exercise planned, and instead of holding it in Brussels, suggested doing it on the canal, to help with the search,” Remue said. “”We were happy to accept. But that also produced no result, so this time it seems we will wait until Tuesday. In the meantime we’re asking anyone who walks beside the canal and spots something to let the police and emergency services know.”

Alan Hope
The Brussels Times

Latest news

European Council: Decisions on Covid-19 and energy and debate on other issues
At the two-days summit which ended on Friday, the European Council adopted conclusions on COVID-19, digital, energy prices, migration, trade and ...
Flanders ‘water bomb’ could cause €2 billion in damages and affect thousands
The next "water bomb" or heavy rainfall over Flanders could cause damages estimated at around €2 billion, and could affect up to 100,000 people in ...
Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine 90% effective in 5 to 11-year-olds
The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is 90.7% effective in preventing symptomatic forms of the coronavirus in children aged five to 11, Pfizer announced on ...
Belgian airport named best for cargo in Europe
Brussels Airport has been named the best airport in Europe in a 2021 roundup of the best cargo airports across the world. The Asian Freight, ...
NASA plans first return mission to Moon in February 2022
The United States space agency, NASA, has announced that it will be aiming to launch its first, uncrewed mission to the moon, Artemis 1, in February ...
New, reportedly more contagious Delta mutation being monitored
A new mutation of the Delta variant of the coronavirus, which is reported to be more contagious, is being monitored by health authorities in the ...
Angèle releases new single: ‘Bruxelles je t’aime’
Belgian singer Angèle has unveiled her latest song ahead of the release of her new album, due later this year. 'Bruxelles je t'aime' (Brussels I ...
23 million chickens and 1.7 million pigs: Climate experts call for livestock cut
Flander's livestock needs to be drastically cut to save the climate and reach the emission reduction targets, according to the latest advice from the ...
Vaccination uptake surges in Wallonia following CST announcement
The number of people getting vaccinated against the coronavirus increased fourfold in Wallonia after it was announced that the Covid Safe Ticket ...
Guilty by association
BRUSSELS BEHIND THE SCENES Weekly analysis and untold stories With SAM MORGAN Other Brussels behind the scenes stories: Brussels' bid to make ...
Health minister supports use of Covid Safe Ticket in workplace
As the use of the Covid Safe Ticket (CST) has been expanded in Brussels and is set to in Wallonia, federal health minister Frank Vandenbroucke has ...
Maggots show Conings may have lived longer following disappearance
Former army soldier Jürgen Conings, whose disappearance in mid-May resulted in a month-long manhunt, may have been alive for longer than has been ...