The Brussels Civil Court rules Dieudonné lied about his show
Share article:
Share article:

The Brussels Civil Court rules Dieudonné lied about his show

©Belga
©Belga

The referral Brussels Civil Court did not agree with the arguments put forward by the French comedian Dieudonné and his production house, who think that the Forest National theatre cancelled their contract without a valid reason. Antwerps Sportpaleis, which owns the Forest National, signed a contract with Productions de la plume for a Dieudonné show at the Forest National on the 17th of May. But it suspended ticket sales, claiming it had been duped about the nature of the show. Productions de la plume took Antwerps Sportpaleis to the referral Brussels Court of First Instance, to try and force the Forest National manager to stick to the contract they signed in August 2014. The contract concerned a Dieudonné show at the Forest National on the 17th of May 2015. But Antwerps Sportpaleis suspended ticket sales. The theatre’s owner said the contract was not valid as they had been duped.

In such a case, the unilateral rupture of a contract is justified, according to Counsels David Wasserman and Christophe Goosens, the lawyers for the Belgian League against Anti-Semitism (LBCA). The League voluntarily joined the trial to support Antwerps Sportpaleis. “The judge sided with us. He made his decision on the 2nd of April, and we just heard about it”, said Christophe Goosens on Monday. “He thought that Dieudonné’s production house, Productions de la Plume, hid the satirical content of the show, claiming it was called “The Beast”, when it was really called “The Foul Beast”. This phrase is often used to talk about Nazism, Fascism and Anti-Semitism”, the lawyer explained. 

(Source: Belga)

Latest news

European Council: Decisions on Covid-19 and energy and debate on other issues
At the two-days summit which ended on Friday, the European Council adopted conclusions on COVID-19, digital, energy prices, migration, trade and ...
Flanders ‘water bomb’ could cause €2 billion in damages and affect thousands
The next "water bomb" or heavy rainfall over Flanders could cause damages estimated at around €2 billion, and could affect up to 100,000 people in ...
Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine 90% effective in 5 to 11-year-olds
The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is 90.7% effective in preventing symptomatic forms of the coronavirus in children aged five to 11, Pfizer announced on ...
Belgian airport named best for cargo in Europe
Brussels Airport has been named the best airport in Europe in a 2021 roundup of the best cargo airports across the world. The Asian Freight, ...
NASA plans first return mission to Moon in February 2022
The United States space agency, NASA, has announced that it will be aiming to launch its first, uncrewed mission to the moon, Artemis 1, in February ...
New, reportedly more contagious Delta mutation being monitored
A new mutation of the Delta variant of the coronavirus, which is reported to be more contagious, is being monitored by health authorities in the ...
Angèle releases new single: ‘Bruxelles je t’aime’
Belgian singer Angèle has unveiled her latest song ahead of the release of her new album, due later this year. 'Bruxelles je t'aime' (Brussels I ...
23 million chickens and 1.7 million pigs: Climate experts call for livestock cut
Flander's livestock needs to be drastically cut to save the climate and reach the emission reduction targets, according to the latest advice from the ...
Vaccination uptake surges in Wallonia following CST announcement
The number of people getting vaccinated against the coronavirus increased fourfold in Wallonia after it was announced that the Covid Safe Ticket ...
Guilty by association
BRUSSELS BEHIND THE SCENES Weekly analysis and untold stories With SAM MORGAN Other Brussels behind the scenes stories: Brussels' bid to make ...
Health minister supports use of Covid Safe Ticket in workplace
As the use of the Covid Safe Ticket (CST) has been expanded in Brussels and is set to in Wallonia, federal health minister Frank Vandenbroucke has ...
Maggots show Conings may have lived longer following disappearance
Former army soldier Jürgen Conings, whose disappearance in mid-May resulted in a month-long manhunt, may have been alive for longer than has been ...