Share article:
Share article:

Orange and Proximus ordered to hold off on joint venture

© Proximus

Telecommunications operators Orange and Proximus have been ordered to put the brakes on a planned joint venture following a complaint to the national competition authority from competitor Telenet.

Orange and Proximus in July last year announced plans to merge their mobile networks in a joint venture to prepare for the arrival of the next generation 5G internet. The new joint network would be created between 2021 and 2023, at a cost of €140 million.

But Telenet filed a complaint with the competition authority, who argued that “the scope of the joint venture is far-reaching, and would disrupt the market”.

The competition authority has now issued an interim injunction on the transfer of staff to the new joint venture until at least 16 March. In the meantime, however, the two companies can go ahead with preparations for the new joint venture, including the purchase of materials.

Telenet issued a statement welcoming the injunction as “a step in the right direction”. But the company stressed that both the competition authority and the telecoms regulator BIPT “must now carry out a further thorough investigation into the joint venture, taking into account the objections previously formulated by Telenet,” as well as the regulator’s concerns expressed during the procedure.

The pressure on mobile revenues is prompting all mobile operators to find smart ways to finance the development and maintenance of the new 5G network,” Telenet said in a statement. “Telenet understands why mobile operators – albeit within the limits of what is legally permitted – want to share their mobile networks, but has serious reservations about the very far-reaching manner in which the two biggest mobile players in Belgium – with a joint market share of 75% and a quasi-monopoly in the business segment – want to work together in a joint venture.”
In a joint statement of their own, Proximus and Orange said, “The sharing agreement for the mobile access network will have positive effects for the customers and for the Belgian society as a whole, in particular a faster and more extensive deployment of 5G, a significant reduction in total energy consumption and an improvement of the global mobile service experience, while maintaining a strong differentiation between the parties on services and customer experience.”
A full judgement on the Telenet complaint will follow later.

Alan Hope
The Brussels Times

Latest news

23 million chickens and 1.7 million pigs: Climate experts call for livestock cut
Flander's livestock needs to be drastically cut to save the climate and reach the emission reduction targets, according to the latest advice from the ...
Vaccination uptake surges in Wallonia following CST announcement
The number of people getting vaccinated against the coronavirus increased fourfold in Wallonia after it was announced that the Covid Safe Ticket ...
Guilty by association
BRUSSELS BEHIND THE SCENES Weekly analysis and untold stories With SAM MORGAN Other Brussels behind the scenes stories: Brussels' bid to make ...
Health minister supports use of Covid Safe Ticket in workplace
As the use of the Covid Safe Ticket (CST) has been expanded in Brussels and is set to in Wallonia, federal health minister Frank Vandenbroucke has ...
Maggots show Conings may have lived longer following disappearance
Former army soldier Jürgen Conings, whose disappearance in mid-May resulted in a month-long manhunt, may have been alive for longer than has been ...
Pandora Papers: European Parliament describes UK and US as global hubs for money laundering and tax evasion
The European Parliament adopted on Thursday a resolution taking the European Commission to task for not doing enough to combat money laundering, tax ...
Museum Night Fever returns to Brussels on Saturday night
After a break last year, Museum Night Fever 2021 is back again with free visits to 29 museums hosting performances, music and other events. The ...
More than 100 people hospitalised with coronavirus per day
More than 100 people are being hospitalised per day in Belgium as a result of the coronavirus, as the rise in new Covid-19 infections continues its ...
Digital well-being: being healthy in a hyperconnected world
There was hardly any doubt about the direction that digital innovation was moving in, but whilst the pandemic restricted human contact and slowed ...
Belgian Health Minister wants pharmacists to administer vaccines
Federal Health Minister Frank Vandenbroucke has said he wants to change Belgium's law to allow pharmacists to administer Covid-19 vaccines against, ...
Ruined photos from flood victims restored for free
Much of what victims of this summer’s deadly flooding lost is irreplaceable, but when it comes to photographs that were ruined, a Brussels company is ...
New Belgian video game aims to help children who stutter
A new video game by Belgian-American start-up Say It Labs aims to teach children with a stutter various techniques to improve their speech.  ...