Paris attacks – Federal Prosecutor’s Office corrects information on Salah Abdeslam which appeared in Le Monde
Share article:
Share article:

Paris attacks – Federal Prosecutor’s Office corrects information on Salah Abdeslam which appeared in Le Monde

© Belga
© Belga

The Federal Prosecutor’s Office today (Friday) corrected a piece of information which appeared in the French daily newspaper Le Monde concerning Mohammed Belkaïd. This man was killed by police on March 15th during the attack on a flat in the Rue du Dries in the Forest area of Brussels, after an exchange of fire during a police raid.

The Office stressed, “The information which appeared in Le Monde regarding an hearing claimed to have taken place involving Mohammed Belkaïd was false.” It went further, “In fact, there were several interviews for individuals after the attacks but Belkaïd was never involved in them.”
 
In the article in question, the French daily newspaper, which has been able to consult the investigators’ file, which made it possible for Belgian police to arrest the Paris attacks fugitive, retraced the manhunt for Salah Abdelsam.

On December 4th last year, Belgian police issued a wanted notice concerning two men present in a vehicle with Salah Abdeslam during a border check on September 9th, 2015 at the Austrian-Hungarian border, holding false Belgian identity papers.

One of these men held papers indicating the name “Samir Bouzid.” Four days after the Paris attacks, this individual was filmed by surveillance cameras at a Western Union branch, in Brussels, transferring 750 euros to Hasna Ait Boulahcen, Abdelhamid Abaaoud’s cousin.

During the evening of the Paris attacks, Boulahcen may have been contact by text with the perpetrators of these attacks.

The Federal Prosecutor’s Office says that it is “more than reasonable” that Samir Bouzid is the alias of Mohamed Belkaïd, an Algerian, aged 35. He was, in the end, killed on March 15th during the attack at the flat on the Rue du Dries.

The investigators say there is a “high probability” that Belkaïd was the recipient of the text sent on the evening of November 13th by one of the suicide bombers from the Bataclan theatre to the mobile telephone located in Belgium. The text said, “We have left, the mission has begun.”

(Source: Belga)

Latest news

Flanders introduces ‘invisible’ speed cameras
New digital speed cameras that are essentially invisible to the road user are being introduced on various roads and motorways in Flanders, Flemish ...
Warnings issued for slippery roads across Belgium
Drivers have been asked to watch out for slippery roads from Saturday afternoon until Sunday evening, as snow and cold temperatures are expected ...
Testing rules following high-risk contact eased for vaccinated people
The coronavirus testing policy following a high-risk contact has been eased, meaning a vaccinated person who was in contact with an infected person ...
New measures announced for Belgian schools
Stricter rules are being implemented across a variety of sectors in Belgium to curb the rising number of infections and limit the damage as a result ...
Majority of booster doses should be administered by March 2022
Invitations will be sent out in the following days for the general population in Belgium to receive a coronavirus booster vaccine, and most adults ...
Belgium adopts national plan to combat gender-based violence
Belgium has adopted a National Action plan for the Fight against Gender-Based Violence, which includes more than 200 measures and unites all levels ...
Antwerp cancels Christmas market and New Year’s Eve fireworks
The city of Antwerp has joined other cities including Leuven and Ghent by announcing it is cancelling this year's Christmas market, the end-of-year ...
Pharmaceutical companies looking into vaccines against new variant
Pharmaceutical companies have sprung into action to look into vaccine protection against the new coronavirus variant first detected in South Africa, ...
Belgium imposes entry ban on travellers from southern Africa
Belgium is introducing an entry ban for travellers from several countries in the south of Africa following concerns about a new variant (B.1.1.529) ...
What Ursula did next
BRUSSELS BEHIND THE SCENES • Weekly analysis and untold stories
Nightclub closures, limiting contacts: These rules come into force today
Just over one week after its last meeting, Belgium's Consultative Committee on Friday once again announced a set of new measures to curb the rising ...
Almost 3,500 Covid-19 patients in hospitals as new cases continue to skyrocket
The number of new coronavirus cases in Belgium is continuing to rise, and with it the number of Covid-19 patients who are hospitalised as a result of ...