Despite the uncertainties surrounding the Omicron variant and rising infections, Paris Fashion Week will go ahead in person.
Over a period of ten days, starting on Tuesday, the biggest names in the field of fashion, along with journalists, potential buyers and viewers will be flocking to the French capital to discover new trends in readymade fashion and haute couture.
The events begin with the Men’s Fashion Week, from 18 to 23 January, followed by Haute Couture, a bi-annual fashion event held exclusively in Paris, from 24 to 27 January. All the physical shows will be broadcast live or coupled with digital presentations.
About 30 fashion houses, including Courrèges and Issey Miyake, are scheduled to make physical presentations – less formal than catwalk parades – at which journalists and buyers are invited.
Of the 76 fashion houses registered on the official programme, 17 will be organising parades, up from six in June 2021. They include Dior, Hermès, Rick Owens and Y/Project, along with Kenzo, headed by its all-new artistic director, Nigo from Japan, a famous name in the world of streetwear.
However, some fashion houses have said that the evolution of the health situation could still make them change their minds about attending the event in person.
“It’s their choice,” Pascal Morand of the Federation of Haute Couture and Fashion, said, according to reports from the Belga news agency. The Federation recommends certain health measures, including wearing FFP2 face masks.
As of 12 January, some 265,622 new coronavirus cases were being recorded on average every day, in the capital region Île-de-France, this figure was more than 66,000 on average in the last week.