The man thought to have torn out a person’s eyes on Saturday night in Ixelles is to appear Thursday before the circuit court, stated Tuesday afternoon the Prosecutor’s Office of Brussels. According to the initial elements of the investigation, a political disagreement between two men of African origin was the source of discord.
It seems the victim and the suspect had quarreled earlier in the day. Then they met at around 3:00 a.m. at the Champ de Mars square and fought.
The suspect is said to have fled after having torn out the eyes of his adversary. The victim was taken to hospital in serious condition. Police called to the location found in the vicinity of the fight the victim’s eyes and a blade.
The presumed perpetrator was arrested Sunday just before 3:00 p.m. when receiving care at a hospital. Police officers present in relation to another case, saw suspicious wounds. The suspect admits to having fought with the victim, but says that he is not certain that he tore out his eyes.
The Brussels Prosecutor’s Office has ordered several investigative tasks, among which is the presence onsite of the scientific laboratory of the Federal Police. A psychiatric examination was dictated and an arrest order was issued for the suspect Monday by the investigating judge.
The charges mentioned are torture, inhuman and degrading treatment, and the voluntary infliction of blows and injuries with the aggravating factors of permanent disability for work and/or the loss of an organ. The investigation is underway.
The two men, both aged 33, have no criminal records and reside in Belgium. The suspect is of Dutch nationality and the victim is Belgian.
Jason Bennett (Source: Belga)