US will leave World Health Organisation, Trump announces
    Share article:
    Share article:

    US will leave World Health Organisation, Trump announces

    Credit: Belga

    Donald Trump, the President of the United States, announced that the U.S. will leave the World Health Organisation (WHO) during a press conference on Friday.

    The WHO is being “manipulated” by China, according to Trump, who said that the organisation has not properly dealt with the coronavirus crisis.

    “Because they have failed to make the requested and greatly needed reforms, today we will be terminating our relationship with the World Health Organisation and redirecting those funds to other worldwide and deserving urgent global public health needs,” Trump said. “The world needs answers from China about the virus. We must have transparency,” he added.

    From the start of the coronavirus pandemic, Trump accused the WHO of being too lenient towards China. “The Chinese cover-up operation on the Wuhan virus has allowed the disease to spread around the world,” Trump said.

    Related News:

     

    Last month, the U.S. President had already announced that the U.S. would stop funding the WHO, which caused worldwide criticism. The U.S. is the WHO’s largest contributor, and contributed over $450 million last year.

    Additionally, Trump also accused China, again, of deliberately covering up the coronavirus outbreak in the Wuhan province, saying that “the world is now suffering because of the Chinese government.”

    He also announced additional sanctions against the financial sector in China, as well as the introduction of additional travel restrictions.

    Maïthé Chini
    The Brussels Times