A dog was rescued by firefighters after a fire broke out in a second-floor apartment on Boulevard Anspach in Brussels on Wednesday evening, Belga News Agency reports.
No one — other than the dog — was present in the apartment at the time the fire broke out. Belgian emergency services were called after a neighbour heard the apartment's smoke detector siren.
"We forced the front door open and quickly extinguished the fire," said Brussels emergency services spokesperson Walter Derieuw. "The absent residents had forgotten a saucepan on the stove. During the search and rescue operations, the faithful four-legged companion of the inhabitants was taken away."
"The dog has been entrusted to the good care of the manager of a cafe that he knows well to recover from his emotions and wait for his masters," the spokesperson said, adding that "this incident proves once again the usefulness of a smoke detector."