About 15 persons from the closed 127bis centre were taken directly to La Porte d’Ulysse emergency shelter by officials of the Immigration Department, the BxlRefugees Platform, which runs the shelter, said on Tuesday.
This was confirmed by Immigration Spokeswoman Dominique Ernould, who said a response would be formulated in the late afternoon by Maggie De Block, Secretary of State for Asylum and Migration in the outgoing government, in collaboration with the management of the Immigration Office.
As in the case of migrants intercepted in various parts of the country and sent to Maximilien Park in Summer 2018, the grassroots platform is seeking to find out whether instructions have been issued to accompany directly migrants from the closed 127bis centre to the emergency centre located at Haren. It stressed that its intake capacity was saturated since the winter weather peaked in January last, and, moreover, it had had to take in people evacuated from the Gare du Nord station last month.
The Platform called on Minister De Block to face up to her responsibilities by providing migrants with full, complete shelter or by placing more resources at the disposal of the humanitarian organisations which, it said, are shouldering alone the results of the migration policy followed by the Federal Government over the past four years.”