The man arrested for plotting an attack on the United States Embassy in Brussels will remain in detention for one more month as the investigation continues, a correctional court in Brussels ruled on Thursday.
The man’s lawyer did not request his clients’ release but has denied accusations that the 22-year-old is radicalised and argued that there are no indications he was planning an attack.
“He is not on the list of radicalised persons,” his lawyer, Mustapha Al Hajjami told Bruzz. “He has one legal antecedent and that is with the police tribunal,” he said, referring to the court which tries minor and non-criminal offences.
Following his arrest, federal law enforcement authorities said they believe the Belgian national would carry out the attack in the near future. According to reports, had been on the radar of the intelligence service for an extended period.
The suspect will be further interrogated next week as the investigation on the alleged attack continues.