Share article:
Share article:

Tenders for federal police HQ were transparent

“Both the sale and rental of the former Administrative City by Brussels authorities were sufficiently transparent and adhered to the rules in place at the time.” 

This was Dutch property agency Breevast’s reaction to an article that appeared in De Tijd. The agency released the statement on Sunday. 

Economic-based newspaper De Tijd claimed federal authorities did not have the means or procedures to complete large property projects. Because of this, the federal police HQ located in the former Administrative City cost taxpayers millions more than it should have. “Because of this wastage, only one property promoter was able to remain on-board.” Because that promoter had a monopoly, there were able to charge unfairly high rent. 

Breevast owned 60% of the Administrative City at the time and the remaining 40% was owned by Immobel. Breevast said the procedures were followed correctly. 

The joint venture between Breevast and Immobel won the tender advertised by the Building Authority. The agency also pointed out that the federal police were not the only ones interested in renting the building: the European Commission also expressed interest.  

“It’s clear that the sale and tender were sufficiently transparent and several parties responded,” said Breevast director Henk Brouwer. “The renovation of the Administrative City for the federal police conformed to the contracts signed with the Building Authority”, the agency said.

The Brussels Times 

Latest news

Antwerp’s first garden street officially opens this weekend
Antwerp's very first "Garden Street" – which replaces tarmac roads with green spaces – will officially open this weekend. Situated on Lange ...
Belgium relaxes testing rules for UK travellers
At the Consultative Committee meeting on Tuesday, the Belgian authorities decided to relax the testing policy for travellers entering the country ...
Far-right MP calls for resistance against CST and face masks
Companies in Flanders should disobey the newly announced measures, according to Flemish group leader of the far-right Vlaams Belang party, Chris ...
How a clever cycling network brings bikers to Flanders
Belgium has always had a special relationship with cycling, but a clever Flemish system of route nodes makes it easier than ever. As Daniela De ...
Brexit fishing conflict escalates: France to adopt retaliatory measures
The conflict between France and the UK over fishing licences post-Brexit continues to escalate. France is set to adopt retaliatory measures ...
Mandatory from Monday: the new rules for Belgium’s Covid Safe Ticket
From Monday 1 November, presenting the Covid Safe Ticket (CST) will become mandatory in all hospitality businesses and fitness centres throughout ...
Car falls off opening bridge in Leuven, parents and child slightly injured
On Wednesday afternoon, a young family experienced the fright of their lives in Leuven when the bridge across the Vaartkom that they were driving on ...
Brussels and Wallonia once again dark red on European travel map
The Brussels-Capital Region and Wallonia have turned dark red in the latest update to the travel map by the European Centre for Disease Prevention ...
Belgium in Brief: What Now?
We've had the meeting, we know the results, and now the time has come to see what happens next. So I find myself wondering a simple question: ...
Floating solar farm to be built along Ostend coast next year
Dutch company Oceans of Energy has announced plans to construct a solar farm off the coast of Ostend next year that should eventually provide enough ...
Trial against Deliveroo begins in Brussels
The Labour Court of Brussels will hear a case on Thursday involving 27 couriers for Deliveroo, who are suing the platform for precarious working ...
Belgium switches to winter time this weekend (yes, again)
This weekend, Belgium will once again change the clocks from summer to winter time, meaning that at 3:00 AM, the clocks will go back one hour, ...