Sunday, 02 April 2017
There were incidents in front of the Turkish embassy in Brussels on Thursday, during which six people were injured. Two people were arrested for assault on Friday. The victims have had to be signed off work. Those arrested were released on conditional parole. Two other people were arrested but later released due to lack of evidence. The Instruction judge still has to decide the fate of a fifth person, the Brussels Prosecutor’s Office said on Friday. They have opened a judicial case.
There was a fight in front of the Turkish embassy at 4pm on Thursday, between supporters and opponents of the Turkish President. There will be a referendum on constitutional reform in Turkey very soon.
Blows were exchanged between several people, and a knife and iron bar were used. Five people involved in the fight were injured.
A 69 year old woman who tried to put herself between them was also injured and taken to hospital, meaning a total of 6 people were injured. Local Brussels-Capitale-Ixelles police went to the scene to break it up. A group of around 150 to 200 people formed in front the embassy, and stones were thrown at nearby vehicles.
4 people aged 30, 38, 46 and 48 were remanded in custody and sent before the Prosecutor’s Office. A fifth person aged 29 was arrested but remained in hospital, due to the seriousness of his injuries. He will be questioned when he is well enough. All five had been hit and hit other people. An iron bar thought to have been used was found and taken for analysis.
The Prosecutor’s Office says the fight started because of politics. If the judicial case confirms it, it will be seen as aggravating circumstances and the suspects might get 2 months to 4 years in prison.
All this comes as Turkish people living in Belgium can vote in consulates in Brussels and Antwerp from the 27th of March to the 9th of April. There is a referendum on constitutional reform that would increase President Erdogan’s powers. The vote in Turkey will take place on the 16th of April.