Woman hospitalized after fire in Saint-Josse

Woman hospitalized after fire in Saint-Josse
Google maps

A woman was taken to the hospital, and a classroom in a nearby school evacuated after a fire in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode on Tuesday afternoon. The fire broke out on in a four-storey apartment building on rue de l’Artichaut in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode, said Walter Derieuw, the spokesman for the Brussels fire service.

Upon arrival on site, the firefighters noticed smoke in the stairwell. The fire, which had started in a storage room on the ground floor, had already been extinguished with a powder extinguisher.

Rescue services provided care to two women who had inhaled smoke from the 3rd floor of the building. One of them was taken to the hospital, but her condition is not severe.

During the ventilation of the building, the firefighters were stopped by the janitor of the nearby school, located in Place St-Josse. He informed them that some smoke had passed through a duct in one of the classes.

While a carbon monoxide (CO) test proved negative for the room, the firefighters advised not to allow the children to return until the premises had been well ventilated as a precaution.

The Brussels Times

Latest News

Copyright © 2021 The Brussels Times. All Rights Reserved.