Schaerbeek Hit & Run: Suspect already convicted in previous hit-and-run and had no licence
Friday, 14 June 2019
A judge released a suspect in a hit and run incident in Schaerbeek, who was driving without a licence and had already been involved in a hit-and-run. Credit: Google Street View
The man detained after a hit and run in Schaerbeek was driving without a licence and had previously been convicted for a separate hit and run incident, Brussels’ public prosecutor said on Friday.
The suspect will be brought before a judge and the public prosecutor is expected to request his arrest under charges of deliberate injuries and criminal recidivism after his first hit-and-run, according to Bruzz.
The 28-year-old individual is suspected of being the driver of a blue BMW that hit a 14-year-old girl on Thursday, leaving her severely injured on the road before fleeing the scene.
The girl is still in the hospital and her condition has become stable.
On Friday, the father of the victim told Het Laatste Nieuws that his daughter had crossed the street using the zebra path and that the driver was “going too fast.”
The investigation into the circumstances surrounding the accident is ongoing, but witness accounts are reportedly “ambiguous.”