British security staff contracted by Mitie service providers on behalf of Eurostar will suspend some of their planned strike activities while workers vote on a new pay offer.
As previously reported, security workers on the British side of the Eurostar connection were set to protest on 16,18,22, and 23 December after union members voted in favour of strike action over poor pay.
According to the National Union of Rail, Maritime, and Transport Workers (RMT), strikes scheduled for the 16th and 18th will no longer go ahead while the security officers take part in a referendum on an offer received from their employer. Discussions should conclude on 19 December.
Strikes scheduled for 22-23 December are still scheduled to go ahead unless the striking workers reach an agreement with their employer.
- National demonstration: Public transport disruptions on Friday
- More companies consider staff layoffs as economic crisis bites
Eurostar has previously said that it does not anticipate any impact on services in the event that the Mitie strike action takes place. The RMT says that strikes will “severely affect” the normal running of Eurostar services during the Christmas period.
In the new year, a fresh round of strikes by the RMT will see more than 40,000 rail workers walk out on 3-7 January. Mobility across the United Kingdom has been significantly affected by weeks of back-to-back strikes.