The trial of the suspects of the 2016 Brussels terror attacks were due to start on 10 October but proceedings will be delayed, as the justice department (FPS Justice) on Wednesday announced that it is searching for alternatives to glass boxes that the defendants will occupy in the courtroom.
Protests by the defendants over the glass boxes, that they called "degrading", led the court's president Laurence Massart to rule that the boxes violate human rights.
The decision means that the trial will be delayed whilst a suitable alternative is arranged.
The delay is an embarrassment to the justice system in Belgium. Last week, the president of the assize court said that delays must be avoided out of respect for the victims.
Moreover, it is unclear whether the hundreds of potential jurors that were summoned will be able to attend the trial at a later date.
- Brussels 2016 attacks: Court to decide on glass cages for defendants
- Belgium launches biggest-ever trial of 2016 Brussels terrorists
Exactly how long it will be before the trial can take place is not clear. A month's delay looks likely, although the justice department said the timeframe is still being worked on.