French pharmacies to issue free condoms to 18-25 year olds

French pharmacies to issue free condoms to 18-25 year olds
Credit: Belga

French President Emmanuel Macron announced on Thursday that, from 1 January, access to condoms would be free in pharmacies for young people aged 18 to 25.

” This is a small revolution in prevention,” the president said at a session of the National Council for Refoundation (CNR) devoted to the health of young people and held in Fontaine-le-Comte near Poitiers.

Condoms were already being reimbursed by Social Security when prescribed by a doctor or midwife since 10 December 2018, as an additional tool to fight AIDS and sexually transmitted infections.

Two brands of male condoms, 'Eden' and 'Sortez couverts!' are currently covered for up to 60% by the health insurance system, with the remaining 40% covered by complementary health insurance for those who have them.

“We have a real issue” where the sexual health of young people is concerned, Macron said.

He mentioned in particular the vaccination of teenagers – girls and boys – against papillomavirus infections, which are linked to the appearance of several cancers.

“It’s a huge information job. We need to get it into schools, we need to increase our efforts and we are going to make this investment,” he said.

“I don’t rule out compulsory vaccination when all this is in place and we have the right scientific recommendations,” he added.

Copyright © 2023 The Brussels Times. All Rights Reserved.