Share article:
Share article:

Brussels wants to take over former NATO HQ for major trials

The old NATO HQ comes with security features in place. © NATO

Representatives of the Brussels justice system have asked federal justice minister Koen Geens to be allowed to hold major trials in the former headquarters of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO).

Geens (CD&V) has already given the go-ahead for the campus to be used for the trial of the people suspected of organising and carrying out the terrorist attacks in Zaventem and Brussels in March 2016.

The logic there is that the trial will involve so many suspects and their lawyers that there is not a courtroom in the Justice Palace in Brussels large enough to accommodate everyone.

The same logic applies even more now, with measures in place to combat the spread of the coronavirus Covid-19. While few trials will ever involve as many participants as the 2016 terror trial, the sanitary measures now mean that space is even more cramped.

The NATO HQ, meanwhile, has been rehoused to new, larger premises just across from the old one, in Haren, on the main road to Brussels Airport.

The old campus, as well as offering more than sufficient space, including office space and more than one auditorium, also has the advantage of massive security measures already in place, including security cameras, checkpoints, concrete road barriers and more.

We did indeed receive that request recently,” Sieghild Lacoere, spokesperson for Geens, confirmed to De Tijd.

“This type of dossier involves many different aspects: safety, technical adjustments, budgets, permits, and so on. At the moment we are working very hard to investigate all these aspects.”

The proposal has the support of all of the major judicial institutions in Brussels, the paper says. And it comes with a shopping list.

The various instances – appeal court, prosecutor’s office, federal prosecutor, Cassation Court – have suggested NATO would be suitable for the appeals trial regarding the 2010 Buizingen train crash, recently postponed for corona reasons, as well as the trial of a ring of Roma car thieves, and that of the Belgians accused of involvement in the terror attacks in Paris in 2016.

The keys of the old HQ have been returned by NATO, and are now in the hands of the justice ministry, which intended to make the site available to the defence ministry, which used to have a base directly opposite.

However the changes that will be necessary for the March 2016 trial will cost an estimated €24 million – a large sum of money to be spent on a single event, those seeking to take over the site could argue.

Alan Hope
The Brussels Times

Latest news

Museum Night Fever returns to Brussels on Saturday night
After a break last year, Museum Night Fever 2021 is back again with free visits to 29 museums hosting performances, music and other events. The ...
More than 100 people hospitalised with coronavirus per day
More than 100 people are being hospitalised per day in Belgium as a result of the coronavirus, as the rise in new Covid-19 infections continues its ...
Digital well-being: being healthy in a hyperconnected world
There was hardly any doubt about the direction that digital innovation was moving in, but whilst the pandemic restricted human contact and slowed ...
Belgian Health Minister wants pharmacists to administer vaccines
Federal Health Minister Frank Vandenbroucke has said he wants to change Belgium's law to allow pharmacists to administer Covid-19 vaccines against, ...
Ruined photos from flood victims restored for free
Much of what victims of this summer’s deadly flooding lost is irreplaceable, but when it comes to photographs that were ruined, a Brussels company is ...
New Belgian video game aims to help children who stutter
A new video game by Belgian-American start-up Say It Labs aims to teach children with a stutter various techniques to improve their speech.  ...
More than 1 in 4 Belgians use mobile phones whilst driving
A recent European study into the use of mobile phones whilst driving highlights some alarming results: 26% of Belgians read or send messages on their ...
Belgium in Brief: Memories Of Masks
Belgium's experts are concerned with the rising coronavirus figures. One possible solution could be that, once again, masks are used more widely. ...
More than €1.5 billion injected into SNCB
More than €1.5 billion in additional funding has been injected into the Belgian railways, Federal Mobility Minister Georges Gilkinet told the House ...
Non-vaccinated applicants no longer welcome at ZNA hospitals in Antwerp
The Antwerp hospital group ZNA is only taking on new employees who have been vaccinated against the coronavirus, according to reporting from VRT. ...
Pharmacies prepare to administer more rapid antigen tests
From November, anyone presenting coronavirus symptoms for less than six days will be able to take a rapid antigen test in a pharmacy, announced the ...
Chocolate, Christmas, and cocaine
Do you consider yourself a news buff? Someone constantly on top of what's going on? Then maybe you have what it takes to ace The Brussels Times ...