Allowing Covid-19 to circulate freely to reach herd immunity ‘not an option’, says WHO
Share article:
Share article:

Allowing Covid-19 to circulate freely to reach herd immunity ‘not an option’, says WHO

Credit: Belga

Allowing Covid-19 to circulate freely in society so that the population can reach herd immunity, as some have suggested, is not feasible, said the World Health Organisation (WHO) on Monday.

“Never in the history of public health has herd immunity been used as a strategy to respond to an epidemic, let alone a pandemic,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters.

“It is scientifically and ethically problematic,” he insisted. “To allow a dangerous virus, which we do not fully understand, to run wild is simply unethical. It is not an option.”

The coronavirus pandemic has claimed more than a million lives worldwide since the outbreak of the disease in late December.

Related News:

 

“The vast majority of people in most countries are at risk of contracting this virus. Seroprevalence (the level of a pathogen in a population, as measured in blood serum) surveys suggest that in most countries, less than 10% of the population has been infected,” Ghebreyesus detailed.

Additionally, he explained that the world does not know enough about the immunity that people who have contracted Covid-19, pointing out that some individuals have been infected once again.

“Most people infected with the virus develop an immune response in the first few weeks, but we do not know if that response is strong or long-lasting, or if it differs from person to person,” he explained.

He pointed out that the concept of herd immunity is used in vaccination campaigns and recalled that for smallpox, 95% of the population must be vaccinated for the remaining 5% to be protected. For polio, this rate is 80%.

The Brussels Times

Latest news

Anti-vaxxers demonstrate against Covid Safe Ticket in Brussels
Hundreds of supporters of the anti-vaxx movement gathered on Saturday outside the headquarters of the Pfizer pharmaceutical company to protest ...
Belgium’s investment funds total 260 billion euros in assets
Belgium’s funds industry grew by 5.3% (13 billion euros) in the second quarter of this year, bringing investment funds available to the public to ...
Brussels to Luxembourg by train in two hours soon possible
The fastest train ride between Brussels and Luxembourg currently takes almost three hours, but that could be slashed to about two hours thanks to the ...
Daily Covid infections up by almost 30% in Belgium
Between 6 and 12 October, an average of 2,438 people were infected with the Covid-19 virus every day, according to figures from the Sciensano public ...
Over 80,000 companies in Belgium non-compliant with anti-money laundering meassures
Over 80,000 companies and non-profits in Belgium are still not compliant with the Ultimate Business Owner (UBO) register, which is required of them ...
Increase in tax exemption for donations in Belgium fails to meet expectations
The increase from 45% to 60% in the tax exemption for donations, decided by the former federal government in June 2020, has cost Belgium more than ...
Sex workers in Belgium to get more social rights protection
The social rights of sex workers will soon be better protected in Belgium, Belga News Agency reports. The Council of Ministers has approved a draft ...
Belgian firms sent almost 266 billion euros to tax havens last year
Hundreds of Belgian firms sent close to 266 billion euros to tax havens last year, De Tijd reported on Saturday. Any Belgian individual or firm ...
Belgian investigator wins prestigious US prize
Olivier Hardy, an investigator with the federal police’s anti-terrorist unit in Brussels, DR3, received on Friday a "Top Cop" prize in Washington for ...
Pegasus Project: European Parliament awards journalism prize to investigation of use of spyware
The Daphne Caruana Prize for Journalism was awarded on Thursday to the journalists from the Pegasus Project coordinated by the Forbidden Stories ...
Belgians can now test their knowledge of driving rules and win prizes
The Walloon Road Safety Agency (AWSR) launched on Friday a quiz to allow the general public to test their knowledge of the highway code. Last year, ...
600 extras wanted for film about Belgian ‘Porn King’ and notorious Antwerp nightclub
A Belgian movie telling the story of a notorious Antwerp nightclub with connections to a Belgian 'Porn King' is looking for 600 extras at the end of ...