The United Kingdom is suspending most of its development aid to Rwanda and imposing other diplomatic sanctions in response to Rwandan support for the M23 rebels, who have recently taken control of significant areas in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
The UK Foreign Office said in a statement on Tuesday that the recent offensives by M23 and the Rwandan army, especially the capture of the towns of Goma and Bukavu, constituted an “unacceptable violation of Congo’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.”
It called for an “immediate cessation of hostilities” in the eastern DRC.
Pending “sufficient progress,” London is halting direct bilateral aid to the Rwandan government, except for support to the poorest and most vulnerable. Additionally, the UK will no longer attend Rwanda-hosted events at the highest level and will limit trade promotion activities with Rwanda.
The UK also plans to consult with allies about potential new sanctions. A government spokesperson said “Rwanda may have security concerns, but resolving them militarily is unacceptable. This conflict can only have a political solution.”
London is encouraging Kinshasa to engage in dialogue with M23, a move that Congolese President Félix Tshisekedi currently rejects.
Last week, the United States imposed sanctions on James Kabarebe, military advisor to Rwandan President Paul Kagame.
European nations have not yet agreed on sanctions due to opposition from Luxembourg. However, Luxembourg's Foreign Minister announced on Tuesday that sanctions would be confirmed on Friday if there is no progress in talks among African ministers.
For months, Kigali has denied supporting the rebel group, despite evidence collected by UN experts on the ground. Rwanda claims its troops are only acting against hostile Congolese groups.

