The 2018 Foire du Midi ends after welcoming 1.5 million visitors

Sunday, 19 August 2018 23:15
The 2018 Foire du Midi ends after welcoming 1.5 million visitors © Belga
The 138th Foire du Midi ended on Sunday. Around 1.5 million people attended the event, which opened on Saturday the 14th of July.
These figures come from estimations provided by Patrick de Corte, the President of the Professional Union of Fairs. There have been no notable incidents. 

Figures dropped slightly after the 2016 attacks, but this year the Foire du Midi welcomed the usual numbers of visitors (around 1.5 million). “The weather was almost perfect”, says Patrick de Corte. “It was just a little too hot at one point, but we didn’t really get any rain. The 20th and 21st of July were good, as was today. The last day of the fair is usually the best for many visitors, as prices are lower and the weather is usually amazing! This year it was neither too hot nor too cold”. 

He also said that this year’s patron, Belgian-Moroccan actor Mourade Zeguendi, was very present at the event. He attended the Sick Children’s Day on the 2nd of August. The Smurfs from the “Smurf Experience” were there to entertain the 150 special attendees who are being supported by medical associations. 

Players from Molenbeek club RWDM also came to the fair at the beginning of August, to mix with the visitors. 

More than 130 attractions were spread over a 2km stretch between Porte de Hal and Porte d’Anderlecht. “Top of the World”, the key attraction this year, carried visitors over 60m up into the air.

Maria Novak
The Brussels Times
Google Plus

More Stories

Flemish Court rules against school for turning away handicapped child

Flemish Court rules against school for turning away handicapped child

A Flemish court last week upheld a complaint by the parents of a handicapped child who was turned away from his primary school in Antwerp Province despite legislation in Flanders on inclusive education.

Abdeslam brothers used fake Facebook accounts to organise terror attacks

Abdeslam brothers used fake Facebook accounts to organise terror attacks

Salah and Brahim Abdeslam, and Ahmad Dahmani had created fake Facebook accounts to communicate and begin organising their future terror attacks, according to information in L’Express confirmed on Tuesday on Twitter by Terrorism Analysis Centre Chief Jean-Charles Brisard.

Discreet mediation between Delphine Boël and Albert II failed in 2013

Discreet mediation between Delphine Boël and Albert II failed in 2013

A few weeks before taking legal action, Delphine Boël turned down an amicable resolution.