Use of sex workers in Haiti : Head of Oxfam-Belgium says he’s deeply shocked

Friday, 09 February 2018 19:09
Use of sex workers in Haiti : Head of Oxfam-Belgium says he’s deeply shocked © Belga
The secretary-general of the Belgian branch of Oxfam-Solidarity, Stefaan Declercq, says he is “deeply shocked” by reports in the press on Friday that six members of the humanitarian organization used prostitutes while on mission in Haiti following the 2010 earthquake.
"I apologize on behalf of Oxfam. I do not wish to hide behind the fact that these persons did not belong to the Belgian branch of the NGO,” Declercq said, adding that no employee of Oxfam Belgium was in Haiti in 2010. Oxfam’s Haiti Director, Belgian Roland van Hauwermeiren, was employed by the NGO’s British office. “He never worked for us,” Declercq said.

According to the British newspaper, The Times, which broke the story, sex workers allegedly participated in orgies in apartments and hotels paid for by the NGO. Refuting the allegations, Declercq said “an audit showed that Oxfam money was not involved”. The six employees concerned either were dismissed or resigned. None of them still work for Oxfam.

Declercq recalled that Oxfam employees must conform to the NGO’s code of conduct. Since then, “we have also drawn up an action plan aimed at greater transparency,” he disclosed. “A contact point has been set up to denounce suspicious behaviour and we have support persons whom staff can contact when they need to.”

Maria Novak
The Brussels Times
Google Plus

More Stories

Decree prohibiting use of non-professional weed killers approved

Decree prohibiting use of non-professional weed killers approved

The ministers’ council approved Friday a decree that prohibits the use of certain herbicides by private individuals, announced the Minister of Agriculture Denis Ducarme.

Mechelen tests self-driving delivery vehicles

Mechelen tests self-driving delivery vehicles

Saturday saw the arrival of a self-driving delivery truck in the busy shopping streets of the centre of Mechelen.

Dozens of First World War remains disinterred in West Flanders

Dozens of First World War remains disinterred in West Flanders

The remains of more than 40 soldiers who died in the First World War have been uncovered by archaeologists working on a site in Wijtschate in West Flanders province, part of the war’s main Western front and part of the battle of Passchendaele.